Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Pomona Artwalk...We Love It!

I was fortunate enough to have some work up in The Glasshouse Record Store for the Spring Cleaning Exhibition during this past weekend's Pomona Art Walk, which is held every second and last Saturday of the month and located in the Artist's Colony on 2nd St. in Downtown Pomona. The show was curated by the lovely Bekka Utermohlen and looked super fabulous all hung up on those exposed brick walls. There is tons of affordable work up and it's all really quality stuff...definitely worth checking out during the store's business hours!

In my early 20's I was constantly lurking and loitering in this area not because I was an artist showing my work in one of the many beautiful galleries, but because I practically lived at the Glasshouse, my favorite small venue where I saw so many of my most beloved bands perform live with so many unforgettable performances. I've loved this area for so long now, but it's definitely an evolved sort of love these days. While I don't drive out and go see my favorite bands three times a week anymore, I have grown to love the artsy fartsy aspects of the area has to offer, which brings us back to the present day in 2011 :]

Nica & I had a great meal in nearby Chino @
One Plus One Dumpling House. Seriously, I'm so obsessed with dumplings, but these were amazing!! We had pork & leak as well as steamed BBQ pork buns and because this restaurant is so new and AWESOME, they gave us an order of juicy pork dumplings to sample. Just delicious. We also had a sauteed cabbage dish with Chinese sausage and a super yummy Beef Wrap with cilantro, green onion and a dab of sweet sauce...possibly hoisen! So good. They have a One Plus One in West Covina, too which is much closer to home; we'll be visiting soon I'm sure!

On to the Art Walk! These things draw in huge crowds, but parking in this area is ample, so you shouldn't have a problem finding a spot. We first checked out the opening reception at the
Glasshouse Record Store where my two glittery portraits of Erika G. & I were hung and I couldn't have been more pleased with the exhibition. Here are some of the photos taken inside the store, one of the clothing store exhibiting artwork next door, as well as some outside shots; gives you a good idea of the types of crowds to expect!




There were so many pieces I wanted for my own in the Spring Cleaning show! Here's a few...



Laura Schlipf, "Consuming" $350 for all three drawings...I just adore this mini series. Of course I abhor fleas, mosquitos, and all those disgusting little bloodsuckers, but something about these drawings is very calming and whimsical.









Nicole Bruckman, "Andrea" $100. You can't see it too well in this photo, but the light green blue portion of the dress is covered in sparkles. Sparkles are my weakness! :]











Eunice San Miguel, "Danae" & "Drowning" $125 ea. These two also had a minimal amount of sparkle from the gold paint used. I love tiny little portraits!






Also showing @ Spring Cleaning was
Melissa Loschy, a jewelry designer from Costa Mesa, CA who comes up with the most gorgeous found object and embroidered jewelry!! Check out her Etsy store, but be sure to stay away from the pieces I have my eye on...heheh. This show runs til May 6, 2011 so make sure to get out there and see it and hopefully scoop up a nicely priced piece of artwork for your home!

We visited so many vintage stores, antique stores, and galleries which were all exhibiting some really exceptional artwork. Here are a few shots from some of my favorites!


"Aboretum," a solo exhibition by Steve Comba @ Bunny Gunner. These works were just phenomenal with price tags to match! And I'm not even complaining/hating/wondering why. His work is immaculate and definitely high end. Each and every work had a tree as the subject matter. And if I had the funds, I'd own this painting right here and hang it over my dining room table.

"Arboretum" Oil on Canvas 20"x 84" $20,000


Next we headed to the
dA Center for the Arts for the "Vex Again" show which runs until the 30th of April. The show surveys the work of current graduate students from all over Southern California. I was just giddy to see some work from my friend from undergrad, Thinh Nguyen. I just love these two. They're decorative and simple crocheted abstractions and so graceful and delicate. He also has a wonderful sense of color which has really developed through his graduate work. Yay, Thinh! Haha :P

And if you have $7,000 laying around you can buy this one for me!!


I also really loved this installation by Melanie Donegan. She explained that they were individual sculptures of stylized fish heads and was a commentary on the polluted state of our oceans. She was selling the entire installation for $750.00 but said she would be selling 3 little clusters for $10 after the show comes down. Though I love them all together in this display, I will absolutely be stocking up on some sculptural fish heads for the top of my bookshelf when she starts selling them individually!



We started to wrap up the night with a couple of drinks at dba 256 Gallery & Winebar. I tried out the Pomona Queen beer which apparently is very beloved. I thought it was just alright, don't hate me! They had some really fun art as well:



TL;DR - The Pomona Art Walk is lots of fun!! There are so many worthwhile galleries and interesting exhibitions going on in Pomona, You should definitely make it a point to check it out. the next one is the going to be held on the last Saturday of this month, April 30th. For more info on the Artist's Colony, the galleries, the Art Walk, parking, etc. visit pomonaartscolony.com

No comments: